- Men's Breakfast August 29, 7:30-8:30 am. Downstairs in Fellowship Hall. Great breakfast, Short Devotion by Leo Cumings, Prayer. All men are invited.
- Kid's Corner during the sermon. Follow Amy and Andrew out to the West corner of the field.
- You can give online, or there is a box near the Welcome table, or you can give as you leave under the east canopy.
- For COVID-19 information, to receive help or if you want to help, please visit: www.betheljackson.org/covid-19
- If you're new with us, check out our Starting Point Class with Pastor Ken. This is a once a week online group meeting. You can sign up here: Starting Point
- Want to connect with others in a small group context? Check out our Online Groups!
- Interested in starting an online group to help people stay connected and growing? Please contact Patrick@betheljackson.org
- Want to give online? Simply go to www.betheljackson.org and click Give
- Please share the Facebook Live event on your personal page. You can get there by clicking here.
- If someone you know doesn't have a computer or the internet, you can check out our new feature called TeleSermon. Simply call the church phone number 517-787-8612 and listen to the prompts. You can then listen to the most recent sermons right on your phone... regardless if it's smart or not!😂*Sigh*... we crack ourselves up... So spread the word! You never know who might be helped by this great new feature!
Ordinary Examples for Extraordinary Times
The Principle of Imitation:
You will tend to become like
whoever you train yourself to admire
Who do you want to be like?
He who walks with wise men will be wise,
But the companion of fools will be destroyed.
“He who walks with wise men will be wise...”
- Galatians 4:19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you
- Luke 6:40 “A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher.
- 1 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore I urge you, imitate me.
- Philippians 3:17 Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern.
- Philippians 4:9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:6 And you became followers of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit,
- 2 Thessalonians 3:9 not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us.
- 1 Timothy 1:16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.
- 1 Timothy 4:12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
- Hebrews 13:7 Remember those who rule over you, who have spoken the word of God to you, whose faith follow, considering the outcome of their conduct.
- 1 Peter 5:3 nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock;
- Acts 20:28-38 This is why older, godly Christians are so important in a Christian fellowship.
Here is how the process works:
1. the behavior is modeled
2. the behavior is imitated
3. I accept by faith that the behavior is God’s will
4. I trust the enabling power of the Holy Spirit
5. I repeat the behavior
6. I continue over a prolonged period of time
7. I am among brothers and sisters who support the behavior
8. Over a period of time it becomes the behavior I deeply desire. (affections)
“…A companion of fools will be destroyed.”
- Proverbs 12:26 The righteous should choose his friends carefully, For the way of the wicked leads them astray.
- Proverbs 22:24 Make no friendship with an angry man, And with a furious man do not go
- 1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.
- 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”
You don’t need many friends.
What kind of friends do you need?
1. You need friends who fear God and obey Him. Psalm 119:63 I am a companion of all who fear You, And of those who keep Your precepts.
2. You need friends who refresh you in the things of the Lord. 2 Timothy 1:16 The Lord grant mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, for he often refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain;
3. You need friends who will stimulate you to love and good works. Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works…
Resources on Biography
This is "gold"
Here is one of my favorites: